Thursday, July 21, 2016

'When I Give My Word'

I pledged at the outset I will support the Republican nominee, whoever it is ... I'm a very simple man and when I give my word for something, I follow through and do what I said.
I'm seeing criticism that Trump allowing Cruz to speak last night without an endorsement commitment shows terrible "deal-making" skills. I've got to disagree.  This looks more like a case of giving enough rope.

And c'mon, Newt. That's a pretty lame "save."

Never been one for crystal balls, but it sure looks from here like Ted not only destroyed his chances for 2020, but for 2018.

2 comments:

Pat H. said...

I think you're correct, Trump had the speech in hand 2 hours before Cruz gave it. Cruz was permitted to hang himself.

Maxwell said...

Conventional wisdom is that this is a loser for Cruz, and I think that's a shame---I realize that 'politics is a blood sport' (and probably the reason why most good people avoid it), but I think Trump went a bridge (or two) too far in denigrating Cruz. Cruz is placing his duty to wife and family before a pledge to a fellow politician, probably to the end of his career, and I applaud that. It's a shallow crowd that applauds and jeers as such a good man leaves the arena.

Having said that, I'll vote for Trump, barring some unforeseen iceberg. He may be arrogant, even abrasive, but he's making most of the right noises so far. Will he (can he) live up to his promises? I don't know. But the alternative is an iceberg I can plainly see. I cannot vote for the swift, certain coup-de-grace to this republic.