Thursday, March 02, 2017

What's in a Name?

Police say two young men are accused of brutally beating a 55-year-old man to death in an Oakland park and stealing $1.14 from him ... 19-year-old Jabari Jones and 18-year-old Breshawn Clark were arrested last week on suspicion of murder. [More]
Oh, those madcap "teens."

In the interests of fairness and understanding, I'd own up to having "name privilege" within the predominant (for now, in places) culture. Still, not doing this anonymously has pretty much ruined mine as far as many who portray themselves as "tolerant" and embracing of "diversity" are concerned.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mr. Jones & his friend Mr. Clark might have a friend with the last name Smith. Looking at their first names tells me something a bit different. I have never met anyone named Jabari nor Breshawn so I guess their friend Mr. Smith must be named ShammaLammaDingdong or something else equally ghetto. Just my observation which is why I ALWAYS carry my loaded .38 legally concealed. I might be considered an "Easy" target due to my wheelchair, but I can and will protect myself and urge others to be equally prepared.